Adult RE includes a mix of informal and formal groups and workshops, including Sunday Morning Forum at Clover Lane, Covenant Groups at both campuses, Journey to Justice at Clover Lane, Minister Discussion Group at Market Street, Baby Steps: Examining Whiteness at Clover, and Adult OWL (Winter 2018). Please feel free to contact Sara Palmer, Director of Religious Exploration, for more information.
Young Adult/Adult RE programming
In early 2018, Young Adult-focused programming is in a growing phase, currently working with Rev. Lyn and Young Adults to listen to problems and solutions.
The Unitarian Church of Harrisburg has several active lay-led groups specific to spiritual practice, education, community building, and social justice. Groups specific to education are listed here.
Covenant Groups at the Unitarian Church of Harrisburg are:
- Intentional, lay-led small groups.
- Designed to increase depth of relationship, willingness and ability to listen without comment or advice, to learn from others, and to share from the heart.
- Made up of approximately 8-10 persons who care for and are present with one another.
- Led by co-facilitators.
- Meeting for 2 hours each month.
The sessions use a standard “small group ministry” format, known as an effective tool for people to engage in deep discernment rather than debate.
- Opening reading: introduces but does not guide the topic.
- Check-in: each person briefly shares about such questions as, “What’s most on your mind today?” or “How is it with your spirit today?”
- Focus or theme of the meeting: sharing from personal stories, and learning from listening to others, rather than wanting others to agree with a perspective.
- Check-out: opportunity for each participant to say how the session was for him/her.
- Closing reading.
New Groups form each summer and meet from September through May.
Registration for new groups occurs during the summer, for groups that start in September.
If you would like to contact someone from the Covenant Group Ministry Team, please call the church office for information.
Looking for a place to share your ideas and hear those of others? The Sunday Forum provides a place to look at issues in the news and society. Participants have input in selecting the topics, such as “gerrymandering” and “environmental concerns” and then dissecting them. We meet most Sundays at 10 am in the Clover Lane Fuller Chapel. Check the News You Can UUs e-mail each week for details on topics, leaders, and whether a program will be held. More information available from Barb Pearce.
Philosophy & Literature
The group generally meets the second Sunday of each month at 7 pm at the Clover Lane campus. For questions or to be added to the group’s email list, contact Don Brown. Click here for the 2018 reading list.