The Accompanist will serve as the service musician on all but one Sunday per month, playing hymns and service music. Sundays off are not to include major performances or religious holidays (such as Christmas or Easter) and are scheduled with the Director of Music. The Accompanist will also be available to meet for rehearsals with service musicians. The Accompanist consults with the Director of Music on all choices of music or interpretation and prepares through personal study and practice for worship services and performances. From mid-August through May, the Accompanist supports weekly choir rehearsals (Thursday evenings) and accompanies the choir at two or three Sunday services per month, on Christmas Eve, and at special choir performances. The Director of Music may schedule choir on Sundays when an accompanist is not needed, or when accompaniment is provided by other musicians. The Accompanist has right of first refusal for memorial services, weddings, or interfaith services for an additional honorarium, according to the congregation’s standard schedule of fees.
- Experience and skill with providing piano accompaniment
- Sufficient training in music fundamentals to read and play music
- Ability to play a wide range of musical styles
- Demonstrated verbal and written communication skills
- Strong time management skills
- Ability to play from lead sheets
- Ability to provide basic improvisation (underscoring, chord blocking, etc.)
We are proudly an equal opportunity employer.